Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Apprentices

Eustace’s apprentices constantly came and went from Turtle Island. Approximately 90% of the apprentices that have worked for Eustace left before their two years were up. Apprentices usually thought that Eustace treated them as his slave. One apprentice, Shannon Nunn, claimed that he was only doing menial jobs. Shannon stated that all he was doing was digging ditches and building fences when he wanted to learn how to live off the land. After only a week at Turtle Island, Shannon left. Only a couple of apprentices actually survived at Turtle Island. One of the successful apprentices, Christian Kaltrider, said that the way he succeeded was by telling himself, “I am letting him (Eustace) have this control for the purpose of my education. And he is in control only of my education, not of my identity.” It took a unique person, like Kaltrider, to actually survive as Eustace Conway’s apprentice.
I do not think that I would want to work for Eustace. I would not like living off the land, dumpster diving, and eating only squash in the winter. It is not the ideal life for me. He is too strict for my liking, and I would want to have time to just relax as well. Also, I would want to work for someone who was more fun.

2 comments:

Sarah Cohen said...

I really like your mentioning of Shannon Nunn and Christian Kaltrider as examples, I wish I had though about doing that in my blog! I agree with you about why you wouldn't want to work for Eustace. I also wouldn't want to dumpster die nor could I only eat squash during the winter as I hate squash. Though I think living off of the land would be interesting. Though it is true that I would want to have relaxing time and want to have more fun then I think I would there. Great post, you came up with some things that I should have!

Unknown said...

spearman your totally wrong. This is Shannon Nunn. I worked for Nathan Roarke for a year and learned survival skills from him because he was willing to teach me. Christian lived at his mom's house when I knew him and he was just a weekend warrior. I lived in a leaf hut I built for a year. I didn't quit because of the work, I quite because I wanted to learn how to live off of the land. Ask Conway what type of worker I was, ask the old man who taught him everything he knew how I worked. You need to retract your information about me and my mental fortitude.... I was able to do it and I did do it. I just learned from someone willing to teach e instead of someone who thought labor was free.