Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Death of a Salesman 1

In the first few pages of the text, we meet two boys, Happy and Biff. They are Linda and Willy’s children. Biff is two years older than Happy, but he is not quite as successful. When Biff was talking to Happy in one of the passages, he claimed how he was thirty-four years old, and he was only making twenty-eight dollars a week. I do not think that either of the characters is necessarily happy. Biff is unsatisfied because he cannot find the right job to settle down with while making a decent amount of money. Happy is worried about how their father always talks to himself and how that has gotten worse. From what we have read so far, I cannot assume whether these characters are reliable. I think that they both love their family. Biff may be a bit more unreliable than Happy because Biff is constantly searching for a job and will not settle for one, even though his parents are stressing for him to. Happy might be a little more reliable considering that he is worried about his father’s health. Overall, nothing from the text strikes me that these boys are extremely unreliable.

2 comments:

Rory said...

Abbey, I think that this is a good post, with a good insight on the first chapter, but I do not think that Happy is necessarily that stressed over his fathers problem of talking to himself. While it does mention in the book that Happy is worried, I think that Happy has much deeper and underlying problems that we do not always see. I think that he is insecure about himself, and is guilty for some of the things that he has done.
But I do agree with you when you say that Biff is unreliable because of his lack of ability to find a steady job. We do not know if he will be able to ever settle down, even though his parents try to motivate him to do so.
Good Post, Abbey!

Dub D said...

Abby, I like how you compare Biff and Happy. I had the same feeling about Happy and Biff that you had. I think they are both very unreliable. I think that you did a great job of explaining the background on Biff and Happy.