Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reaction to Slavery

Jacobs presents the reader with a very vivid view of how slavery was. I liked one of the quotations in the book. It was a good representation of the relationship between the slaves and their masters. The novel stated, “These God-breathing machines are no more, in the sight of their masters, than the cotton they plant, or the horses they tend.” This quote really depicts a slave’s role in society. Slaves were looked at as “property,” not as human beings.
Jacobs explained the role of slavery in the South, but she also incorporated her individual story with it. She would talk about the role of other slaves in society, but she also included personal touches such as her grandmother and brothers.
In the story, Jacobs painted a picture that was really vivid in my mind when reading. It is so frustrating to know the struggle that people like Jacobs’ grandmother went through just to become free. If I lived during this time, I do not think that I would have been able to order someone around and to whip him or her when they did not follow my directions.

1 comment:

Abbey Mac said...

Abbey!!! I loved the quote you used! IT really depicts the value of the slaves life in the minds of the master. I really enjoyed reading this post, because that quote stuck out to me also,but the way you explained it was really interesting.
Great Job!