Thursday, August 28, 2008

Funeral

In a way, I was not shocked when only three people showed up to Gatsby’s funeral. Gatsby was not a social person; he never socialized with the guests at his party. I was mad that Daisy did not show up to the funeral. Out of everyone, I think she should have felt obligated to attend considering Gatsby took the blame for a crime she committed. It was surprising to me that Gatsby’s father came to the funeral, mostly because I did not know his father existed. In the long run, however, I was pleased to see him there to show that he at least cared for his son. The other surprising guest was Owl Eyes. He was one of the last people I thought would attend. Owl Eyes and the billboard with the pair of eyes seem connected somehow. I wonder if Owl Eyes was somehow considered God like the pair of eyes was considered God.

1 comment:

viv danko said...

I agree with you that there was no surprise at the funeral because Gatsby didnt need or want to have as many friends. I disagree with you on Daisy because I thought that after what happened at the hotel it seemed that she would be back with Tom.